The Council of State Archivists (CoSA) received a two-year Mellon grant, a subaward to CoSA from the University of Illinois to develop and deliver a variety of capacity-building activities for email preservation and access, including:
- Needs Assessment - this will allow state and territorial archives to identify the key roadblocks to archiving, preserving, and providing access to email collections of state records.
- Development of Best Practice Documents - CoSA will develop a series of documents that will make clear current and best practices for the transfer, accession, and preservation of email records and other forms of electronic communication.
- Applications, Tools, & Protocols Testing - currently, processing is an impediment to archives providing access to email collections. CoSA will evaluate how tools currently in use compare to one another.
- Technical Assistance & Mentoring - states and territories that currently have strong email preservation and processing capabilities will provide insight and information to states and territories looking to establish or deepen their capacity to manage email.
- Deepening Communities of Practice - CoSA will continue to support the communities of practice among its members and work to deepen the relationships and the resources for those communities specifically around email accession, preservation, and access.
This project will foster ongoing learning, information exchange, and collaboration among state/territorial archives and the archival community at large. State government emails comprise millions of records, therefore, this project’s activities will focus on providing practical solutions for the collection, preservation, and accessibility of a discrete, but incredibly important, subset – the email generated by governors, lieutenant governors, secretaries of state, and key state legislators – that will also be applicable to other government officials.
For general inquiries, contact Nick Connizzo.
Learn more about CoSA’s PREPARE work as well as work from other projects that are part of the University of Illinois Email Archives: Building Capacity and Community effort in this presentation recorded for the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI)’s spring 2021 meeting.