CoSA-NHPRC SHRAB Award of Merit
The CoSA-NHPRC SHRAB Award of Merit is given to a State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB) project or program that resulted in strengthening the condition or access of documents and records within its state. Projects and programs must have been carried out in the year before the award is given, but may reflect progress and objectives over multiple years. Projects and programs may be either one-time or ongoing efforts. SHRABS are encouraged to self-nominate.
Award Criteria: The Awards Committee will use one or more of the following criteria to evaluate a nomination:
- How did the project improve archival programs or raise the visibility of the archives within the state? The Awards Committee favors projects that measurably improve upon current programs, adhere to best practices, exhibit calculated risk-taking, and extend the reach of the archives.
- Does the project improve accessibility to archival collections? Projects that reach new audiences, enhance current programs, and are part of a permanent commitment to improvement are favored.
- What was the nominee's accomplishment relative to its resources or responsibilities? SHRABs with access to greater/better resources will be held to higher standards than those that have limited resources.
- Is the project an outstanding example? Projects will be evaluated on the basis of relevancy, significance to the field, overall quality, and their unique or innovative character.
- The Awards Committee will review the nominations on their own merit and will select up to two award recipients each year.
Nomination Forms, Procedures, and Selection
Any organization or individual is invited to nominate an organization, person(s) or program(s). Nomination of oneself or one's organizations is permissible and encouraged.
All nominations are submitted via email and must include the following items:
- CoSA-NHPRC SHRAB Award of Merit Nomination Form
- Essay addressing the criteria listed by discussing the accomplishments and ongoing work of the nominee.
- Letter(s) of support from at least one person familiar with the nominee's work and/or at least one CoSA member.
- Supporting materials may be submitted and may include nominees' resumes or biographies, illustrations of work products and promotional materials, press releases, press clippings, and other related materials.
Email one complete nomination packet to Barbara Teague, CoSA Executive Director.
An Awards Committee, appointed by the President and comprised of at least one Board member and two CoSA members, will review the nominations and select the recipients.
2018 Nominations, Selection, and Presentation Schedule:
- May 1, 2018: Deadline nominations
- By May 31, 2018: Selection of award recipients notified
- August, 2018: Awards presented at CoSA-NAGARA-SAA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC
Previous Award Recipients
2017: Massachusetts State Historical Records Advisory Board
2016: Oklahoma State Historical Records Advisory Board
2015: New Mexico State Historical Records Advisory Board