State Archives Staff

View Only

Using Threads at your institution

• 1.  Using Threads at your institution

Posted 08-30-2023 09:53 AM
    Hello all,

This came through in the TechSoup newsletter recently, and there seemed to be good advice on the pros and cons of Meta's new Threads platform. The SERI Advocacy and Outreach subcommittee continues to monitor the viability of X (the platform formerly known as Twitter), so it's good to see a comparison of functionality for this new platform.

One thing that our community has observed recently is that X no longer allows you to see tweets unless you have an account, which has caused issues with webpage widgets with tweet feeds as well as crawlers that worked to archive tweets. It's unclear if similar limitations will exist with Meta's Threads. CoSA has no plans to start using Threads, especially with its close integration with Instagram, which we also don't use (though, we do have a page). We have increased our usage of LinkedIn as many of those who followed us on the old Twitter have made their way to that space.

Feel free to pass along as seems appropriate and share any recent social media lessons you've learned.

Most sincerely,

Joy

Joy M. Banks

Executive Director
    Council of State Archivists

Documenting Government  Promoting History  Securing Rights

jbanks@statearchivists.org

Book an appointment: 30-minutes | 60-minutes

Web I Twitter I Facebook

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated to respond out of your normal working hours.